Recent Twitter Updates

follow me on Twitter

Saturday, June 16, 2001

Just returned from seeing the much hyped and anticipated "Tomb Raider" movie. Although I didn't feel it was as spectacular as it had claimed to be throughout countless commercial movie trailers, I still won't let the pre-release mania influence my opinion upon the movie itself.

With that said, I still think that it was crap. Perhaps, 3-4 viewings of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (recently released on DVD) during the past forty hours or so had elevated significantly my standards of what should be considered a "quality" movie. The depth of the characters, the exploration of various and universal themes, the gorgeous scenery, the breathtaking and heart-pounding action-fight sequences, displayed in a Martial Arts Film, (a genre commonly misperceived as being a vehicle too insufficient to carry so many and varied themes) are only just some of the remarkable characteristics of this "piece of cinema." I would say that CTHD definitely, and for the first time ever, defines the "arts" in Martial Arts Film. Of course, I'm making this statement based on a small handful of kung-fu movies I've been fortunate/unfortunate enough to see. I mean, most of them probably aren't exactly Oscar-award winning pieces of art. Then again, who am I to talk - maybe I should just rent some twenty plus videos and a month later, touch upon the subject again...

But back upon the subject of Tomb Raider, the less-than spectacular spectacle. I'll just lightly remark that the movie itself was rife with plenty of eye-candy blow-up sequences and the obligatory cleavage/tank top-busting breasts that jiggled ever so delightfully as our heroine Lara Croft dodged gargantuan stone warriors and calamitous waterfalls.

Quote of the Week: (and quite possibly the quote of the month, = P )
"I would rather be a ghost, drifting by your side as a condemned soul than enter heaven without you. Because of your love, I will never be a lonely spirit."

--Li Mu Bai's last words to Shu Lien
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

No comments:

Post a Comment