Recent Twitter Updates

follow me on Twitter

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Researching Blogs

A few nights ago, my girlfriend and I were brainstorming new web addresses for this blog. She was laying on the bed behind me while I was on the computer, pounding my fists on the desk every time a name I wanted was unavailable. I tried "morningwood.blogspot.com," "cortez.blogspot.com," "cameltoe.blogspot.com," and even "mikehunt.blogspot.com" but they were all already taken. More frustrating than the addresses being unavailable was noticing that almost none of them were updated more than once. Without fail, the owners of the blogs reserved the name, posted one test blog and never returned to it again, leaving them to forever collect dust in the world wide web of anonymity.

Last I checked there are millions of individuals with their own blogs, but situations like last night leave me to wonder: how much blogging is actually going on? I have a hunch that there is not nearly as much blogging activity going on as the numbers might lead me to believe. There are many people with blogs, but not much relative blogging.

In want to seriously tackle this question. Carefully considering my methodology in order to avoid coming up with inaccurate results, I'm now in the finishing stages of constructing a research paradigm that will attempt to effectively measure the blogging frequency of some randomly selected number of bloggers on blogspot, livejournal, and possibly other blogging services.

Other questions that I would like to touch upon include are

  • How often do "regular" bloggers blog? and
  • Do paying bloggers blog more or less often than non-paying bloggers?
The quintupling of the daily average traffic of this blog during the last few days has given me a fresh burst of inspiration. Over the past few months, some of the leading bloggers of the web have recognized my work, and that alone is motivation to work even harder. Now more than ever blogging is becoming less of a hobby and more of a passion. It's time to use the faculty of reasoning to try and understand the bigger picture of blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment