Recent Twitter Updates

follow me on Twitter

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Starfruit Review


It seems that almost every week there is a new storefront popping up in our lovely neighborhood of East Village. Being as it was a nice day for a stroll, the significant other and I decided to stop into the newish Starfruit, a shoppe that serves a yogurt-like dairy product named kefir in smoothie or yogurt cup form. Kefir is a fermented milk drink that originated in the Caucasus region. It is reported to have health benefits relating to digestion.

With a nice, bright interior reminiscent of a candy store, Starfruit has a very light-hearted appeal as soon as you walk in. I had a small kefir strawberry-swirl yogurt cup topped with raspberries and tiny M&Ms - the subject of my banner picture above. By itself, I'd say the taste of kefir is somewhere between tofu and recycled newspaper. The toppings are really what complete the product offered by this storefront.

Despite the bright atmosphere, some of the staff suffers from the disaffected hipster attitude that plagues too many inhabitants of the Wicker Park area. Asking for a personal explanation of kefir from the guy serving us illustrates this syndrome. His version of a personal explanation was more like pointing to the signs all over the store with his eyes. Yeah, dumbass, I know how to read ... but if I'm going to pay five dollars for a teaspoon of fake yogurt I expect your ass to have some descriptive adjectives or a verb phrase or some shit for my ass AT LEAST. I take my over-priced yuppie food without the extra eye-rolls, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment