Recent Twitter Updates

follow me on Twitter

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The War at Home

I'd hate to blog about work. First of all, I could would most definitely lose my job because I work in research, and in research things like confidentiality and non-disclosure are imperative. Secondly, if there's one thing I've learned from my favoritest blogger of all time, it's that somehow your boss will find your blog and read about all the shit you talk behind her back. Then she will fire you. So instead I will start blogging about work and then I will shift to a political rhetoric that will probably inspire few and maybe upset others.

All that I can responsibly let out of my bloggy heart is that this previous work week has been the work week from hell. While I know that everyone has this thought at least several times a year (some of them have it every week), I'd like to think that i'm exceptional because my job puts me in some very exceptional situations, far beyond office banalities like the annoying eating habits of co-workers or the stapler that always seems to go missing from your desk.

Allow me to articulate. For the past three years, i've been working in the social service/research sector, travelling deep inside the roughest neighborhoods in Chicago and spending many hours every week in the very homes of not only the victims of some of the most heinous crimes ever imaginable, but also with the perpetrators of those crimes. I've done this because I think it is important to do.

So i've seen some shit, to put it colloquially. Shit that you don't really talk about at a cocktail party. Everything from heroin being injected into veins, to being accosted by prostitutes and drug dealers, and even to boobs popping out of tank tops (topic for a later blog). These are only some of my light-hearted experiences. Far worse are the things that no one wants to read, experiences composed of words that are too harsh too see even while shielded by the dull plasticity of a computer monitor.

While some war veterans and soldiers will speak of losing comrades in the course of war, dying and fighting for ideas like "freedom" and "justice" in the name of their country, I ask them to put down their arms and look no further than down a few blocks from their road - because there's a war much closer to home. You don't need to travel thousands of miles to find conflict. Not too far away from you there's an innocent woman being brutalized by an abusive husband, or a four year old discovering their mother dead on the couch, overdosed on heroin. It happens everyday. I know this because i've seen it with my own eyes.

I hope that this coming election brings about not only a change in leadership, but also a change in nationwide mentality. Our leadership needs to shift its thinking away from the "Overzealous World Police" ideology to a more "Gentle caretakers of our nation" approach. This is one of the discriminating qualities in the Republican/Democratic political dichotomy. In fact, I think this rotating power sharing is critical to the health of our nation. I won't deny the Republican war machine the progress they have made in Afghanistan, or even their success in toppling the Hussein regime, but now it's time for them to step-off.

Time for our leader Obama to take the reigns and bring it all closer to home. Time for us to refocus on the issues down the block. It's time to divert the money for the Republican War on Drug program away from the propaganda and increasingly large prison sentences to programs that actually work, like drug-treatment clinics and community health centers.

I've been fighting this societal war with a paltry few other brave souls, souls that don't receive nearly half the glorification or honor that they deserve. Fearless men that ruthlessly destroy other men have received some of the greatest honor in our country, and in many ways, this honor is justifiable. But what about our unarmed soldiers? What about our dedicated educators and responsible parents, what about anyone else that has tended to the actual well-being of the youth of our home country? It's time for their memorial, time for their purple hearts. It's time for us to focus on the war at home.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post.

    BTW, I guess since you mentioned boobs in the blog, your ads on the left are full of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you sir. i have adjusted the tag for this posting in an attempt to address this concern.

    ReplyDelete